Thursday, March 11, 2010

Aunt Theresa- Short Ribs and Memories

I must say i really am going to enjoy this blog.. already ive received many compliments to it. One such compliment came from my Uncle George which has inspired me to do this next recipe blog dedicated to a recipe of my Aunt Theresa.... Baked Spare Ribs.... this recipe is so simple, so priceless, very rich and absolutely finger licking fabulous! Ill do the recipe here then move on to some more culinary memories of my Aunt Theresa....

2 -3 packages of Short Ribs

1-2 Cans of tomato Soup

1/2 jar of Apricot Preserves

1 large onion, thinly sliced


Meat Rub:

Season Salt

Garlic Salt or powder

Ground Pepper

*all 3 in equal portions, like 1 Tablespoon of each, start from there

Sprinkle the Meat Rub over the rubs and with both hands rub it into every nook, cranny of the meat, or you can simply just sprinkle it lightly all over and take it from there. Distribute sliced onion over and around the meat. In a medium sauce pan on the stove warm the preserves and tomato soup, how much sauce depends on how many ribs you are cooking. If its a little thick add a little water. Pour over the meat, cover Bake at 350 degrees for 2 1/2 hours. Check from time to time to make sure its not burning... this sauce burns incredibly easily. Per my dear mother's instructions, you will "smell" the ribs from the oven when they are done, they sorta smell like braised oxtails. The meat will fall off the bone. Serve with mashed potatoes or buttered noodles.

That is one of the recipes I remember the most from Aunt Theresa's kitchen. The 2 other things I remember her making are Lamb Cakes at Easter with the old fashioned molds..... and I remember once or twice having leg of lamb at her house that was my introduction to leg of lamb.... i remember it being excellent but alas, I do not have that recipe, however I do have another one I will share with you at a later date. Another culinary memory I have of Aunt Theresa was her almost always having a pie from Fisano's Bakers ( or Pisano's not 100% sure of the spelling) Alas, like most wonderful places, they are no longer there, but they made thee best Coconut Cream Pie and Lemon Meringue that I had ever had, and she always seemed to have one on hand along with Swiss Cream Soda. Aunt Theresa was a big fan of shopping and going out for lunch, I remember my mother and I running around with her, thither and yon and sometimes more yon than thither, just looking for shoes. But she always treated for lunch, a very generous , loving, sweet, always smiling, kind hearted woman. I can see her smile now.. especially the one time when we were in a restaurant and the waitress spoke nothing but labored english and she had a really thick polish accent. Well Aunt Theresa always had some problems hearing, so, the waitress was telling us the specials, and after everyone i would have to repeat it to aunt theresa, because Aunt Theresa just simply could not understand the waitress. Well this woman went on and finally mentioned the soups last. After what seemed like a litany of a list of specials, they only had Borscht for the soup of the day, which to me as an 8 year old is not appealing. Again for the 100th time (or again being very young it seemed that way) Aunt Theresa looked at me wondering what the lady had said. For those of you that know me, know i have a very naturally loud voice.... on this day there was no doubt in that entire restaurants mind or the city of chicago that I had a loud voice... I turned to my aunt and very lovingly but very LOUDLY said.... BORSCHT AUNT THERESA!! THEY HAVE BORSCHT!!!! My moms head went to her face, the waitress laughed, aunt theresa smiled, excited at the prospect of Borscht. And the man from the table opposite of us, also elderly thanked me for announcing the specials. Meanwhile me in my 8 year old bliss or even younger just sat there not realizing I had said it in that loud of a voice, i was just trying to have Aunt Theresa understand the menu. My mom and I though had a great laugh over that afternoon for years to come!!

No comments: