Friday, March 12, 2010

Granny Millas: Heavenly Cottage Cheese Noodles.

This delicious, mouth watering recipe comes from my Grandma Millas. I can still see Boosia in her kitchen on Hoyne making these, especially around the Lenten season!! If you do not like Cottage Cheese, I still ask that you give these a try, I DESPISE cold cottage cheese... but in these noodles with a rich butter and sauteed onions drizzled in.... WOW!


Granny's Heavenly Cottage Cheese Noodles

1 package Egg Noodles

1/2 a large container of large curd cottage cheese or one whole small container. (small curd works well too, it even melts more!)

1 stick of good butter

1 onion, finely diced

Salt and Pepper to taste

Preheat you pan over medium low to low heat, begin to melt your butter. DO NOT RUSH THIS PROCESS!! I dont know why.. but if you rush through melting the butter and sauteing the onions the sauce comes out more greasy than buttery. Patience is the key word here. After butter is melted add the diced onion and continue to cook on medium low to low heat while your pasta water begins to boil. When the water comes to a full rolling boil, add a good 1-2 Tbsp. of Kosher Salt..(Iodine Salt works too, its what Granny used!) You want the water to be like sea water... do not add the salt until the water boils, otherwise the salt will leave residue and marks in your pot. Boil your Egg noodles for about 8 minutes or package directions. Drain, add your cottage cheese Immediately and stir, add the hot onion/butter mixture. Onions should be nice, soft and translucent.. not brown or burnt. Stir in, put on some low heat under the noodles to keep them warm... stir in salt and pepper to taste. The Cottage Cheese, sorta demands a little bit of salt to help bring out the flavors, and the black pepper is optional. If you are freshly grinding your peppper make sure you have it on a very fine grind.. you do not want chunks of pepper leaping out at you. Serve hot with Fish or Baked Chicken. Aunt Marilyn informed me that Granny also used to drizzle honey over this dish from time to time.
To me, this is one of my all time favorite comfort food dishes. I generally make this during Lent on Fridays, but, i find myself making it from time to time through the year having fond memories of Granny!!

1 comment:

Bob said...

I want to add a note to this cause I dont see how to go back in and add things or change them.... Apparently, and this sounds delightful if you want something on the sweet and salty side of life.. you can drizzle honey in with the noodles.. a little bit!! Thank you Aunt Marilyn!! I am going to try that the next time I make them. =)